Wheels to the Field
The purpose of the Wheels to the Field fund for Education in the Outdoors is to promote quality educational experiences in the outdoors for the youth of the San Luis Valley. This fund will cover the mileage and driver expenses of outdoor education trips that meet the following criteria:
- Focus of activity is to provide quality education outdoors.
- Activity must be for pre K-12 grade youth from Colorado's San Luis Valley (including Creede).
- ctivity must link to Colorado Education Content Standards.
- Travel is limited to the upper Rio Grande Basin in Colorado.
- Funding for non-Great Sand Dunes field trips is limited to no more than $200/trip, $500/school. There is currently no limit on funding for field trips to Great Sand Dunes National Park.
- This funding may be used to cover transportation costs only (bus/van mileage and driver).
- Application must be received at least two weeks before your scheduled activity.
Note: These funds are not to be used for sporting activities or picnics.
The San Luis Valley Environmental and Conservation Education Coalition (ECEC) has worked to make applying for and receiving transportation dollars as easy as possible while ensuring accountability for the funds.
At least two weeks before your outdoor education trip:
Apply online for grant funds. We will inform you by phone that your application has been accepted.
Following your outdoor education trip:
Submit the following materials to Judy Lopez, PO Box 1257, Center, CO 81125.
a purchase order from the school for the actual cost of the transportation
a completed teacher evaluation
at least four student evaluations
Depending on where you took your field trip, your school will then be sent a check from:
Friends of the Dunes (www.greatsanddunes.org) for field trips to Great Sand Dunes National Park
Rio Grande Watershed Conservation & Education Initiative (RGWCEI) for field trips to other outdoor locations in the San Luis Valley.
ALL of the above steps must be completed in order for your school to be reimbursed for transportation costs.
Questions? Please call Judy Lopez at (719) 580-5300.