Wheels to the Field
The purpose of the Wheels to the Field Fund for Education in the Outdoors is to promote quality educational experiences in the outdoors for the youth of the San Luis Valley. Reimbursement is based upon availability of funds. This fund will cover the mileage and driver expenses of outdoor education trips that meet the following criteria:
- Focus of activity is to provide quality education outdoors.
- Activity must be for pre K-12 grade youth from Colorado's San Luis Valley (including Creede).
- Activity must link to Colorado Education Content Standards.
- Travel is limited to the upper Rio Grande Basin in Colorado.
- Funding for field trips is limited to no more than $200/trip.
- This funding may be used to cover transportation costs only (bus/van mileage and driver).
- Application must be received at least two weeks before your scheduled activity.
Note: These funds are not to be used for sporting activities or picnics.
At least two weeks before your outdoor education trip:
Apply online for grant funds. We will inform you by phone that your application has been accepted.
Following your outdoor education trip:
Submit the following materials to Bethany Howell, PO Box 1257, Center, CO 81125.
a purchase order from the school for the actual cost of the transportation
a completed teacher evaluation
at least four student evaluations
ALL of the above steps must be completed in order for your school to be reimbursed for transportation costs.